The main purpose of the Lighthouse to Lighthouse Ladies’ Charity Walk is to raise funds for deserving charities in the Overberg Regions. Although there are only two (2) beneficiaries selected to benefit from the official walk (the main beneficiary) and the official practice walk (the secondary beneficiary), L2L is also keen to help smaller projects that might approach us from time to time.
Different people raise funds in different ways. Over the many years that L2L has been walked, we have learnt about some simple, but tried and tested ways in which you can raise funds. Here is a list of some tried and tested tips for raising funds:
- Send an email to all your contacts, tell them about the walk for charity and ask them to sponsor you, any amount no matter how small.
- Have a breakfast or a dinner at your house inviting friends and family and ask them to contribute R100/R200 each to your fundraising effort.
- If you have a birthday coming up and friends coming over, ask them to rather give towards your fundraising in place of a gift.
- I have organised fun round robin tennis days, where I sponsored the tennis balls and cake, and players paid R100 to enter which all went into the fundraising tin.
- A friend organised a Zumbathon, she used the community hall, instructors did there bit for charity, she had about 100 people paying R50 each.
- If you have IT skills, offer to help people with there computers, teach them to use excel etc.
- Any special skill you have can be used.
- Baking and selling pancakes is another good way to raise funds, notify businesses in your area, take orders for a specific day and deliver in time for tea.
- When I was at university, a friend of mine sold jaffles at the university ladies’ residences around 9pm every last week of the month, in order to pay his rent.
- A lighthouse2lighthouse committee member washed cars to raise funds.
official practice walk
The L2L Ladies Walk holds an annual “Official Practice Walk” in the lead up to the main Walk. During this event, held on a Saturday morning, all registered walkers and any walking enthusiasts walk from De Kelders (Cape Nature) along the Walker Bay beach to Grotto Beach in Hermanus to raise funds for the runner-up charity.
The runner-up charity is the one that received the 2nd most votes during the Charity Election process. The “Official Practice Walk” is an opportunity for the runner-up charity to take initiative and host fundraising activities on the day. A fixed amount of the registration fee of each registered L2L Ladies Walker will be donated towards this charity. Local media advertise the event and encourage the local community to come and support this initiative.
Since the Official Practice Walk was started in 2012, the following charities have benefitted from the funds raised on this day:
REQUIREMENTS FOR WALKERS
The minimum amount of funds required from each registered walker is R 4 000.00 for the 2020 Walk. These funds have to be paid in 2 instalments on the following dates:
- 30 November 2020 – 1st due date a minimum of R2 000.00
- 31 January 2021 – 2nd due date balance of a minimum of R4000:
Walkers are encouraged to continue to raise more funds after they have reached the minimum of R4000.
These requirements are also stated on the 2021 Entry form
Should walkers fail to raise the minimum requirement by the stated instalment dates, the walker risks disqualification from the official Walk.
All funds raised are given towards the selected charity. The L2L Ladies Walk committee are volunteers and do not profit from any fundraising efforts.