Apply to be our Charity of Choice for the 2020 Lighthouse2Lighthouse Walk
Every year the Lighthouse2Lighthouse ladies raise money for worthwhile local charities with every step they take.
Following our successful 2019 walk, which raised over R677 677 to buy a bus for Camphill School, the Lighthouse2Lighthouse ladies are striving for new heights in 2020.
In order to select their Charity of Choice for next year’s Walk, the L2L committee is inviting interested NGOs/charities to submit a written proposal for consideration.
L2L encourages all Non-Profit/ Public Benefit organisations situated within the Overstrand municipal district to apply for the funds which will be raised during the 2020 Lighthouse2Lighthouse Ladies Walk. Applications open at the beginning of June 2019 and charities are required to compile a one-page summary of a proposed project.
The closing date for applications is 10 June.
After the closing date, the L2L Ladies Walk committee will study each application according to the selection criteria set out in the Lighthouse2Lighthouse Ladies NPO Constitution. Applicants should:
- Provide an NPO certificate, PBO and Section 18A reference number issued by the Commissioner of SARS.
- Propose a viable, realistic project with detailed planning and dates. This project must be completed within the year of receiving the funding. Funding will not be provided for the running costs of the NPO.
- Own the necessary property and have approved building plans if the request for funds is for a building project.
- Show proof of fundraising efforts for this project.
- Indicate a specific target group and size of the group for the proposed project.
- Indicate the community area that will benefit from this project.
- Indicate sustainability of the project and charity as a whole, e.g. how will the organisation continue with this project or maintain the building, vehicles, etc.
- Provide a SARS Tax Clearance Certificate for the previous financial year.
- Provide an up-to-date financial statement.
Applications must be submitted to the L2L coordinator, Ronel Van Zyl at firstname.lastname@example.org, by no later than 10 June 2019.
L2L Ladies Walk encourages all Non-Profit/ Public Benefit organisations situated within the Overstrand municipal district to apply for the funds raised during each year’s walk. Applications open in June to all charities, during which they are required to compile a 1 page summary of a proposed project that would benefit from funds raised by L2L Ladies Walk for a specific year. The opening and closing dates for proposed projects by Charities are announced in the local media, on the L2L Ladies Walk Facebook page and on their webpage www.lighthouse2lighthouse.co.za. After the closing date, the L2L Ladies Walk committee will study each application according to the selection criteria set out in the Lighthouse2Lighthouse Ladies NPO Constitution which includes:
- Be a registered NPO
- Propose a viable, realistic project with detailed planning and dates
- Own the necessary property and have approved building plans if the request for funds is for a buildingproject
- Show proof of previous fundraising efforts
- Have a specific project for funds, not daily running costs or maintenance
- costs as project
- Indicate specific target group and size of group for proposed project
- Indicate the community area that will benefit from this project
- Indicate sustainability of the project and charity as a whole
- Provide a SARS Tax Clearance Certificate for previous years’ financial statements
In addition to this set of criteria that our annual charity of choice is measured against, Lighthouse2Lighthouse Ladies as a NPO also adhere to the requirements as set out in the NPO Act 71 of 1997 (clause 17&18):
- Our funding documents are available for public scrutiny
- Annual financial statements are prepared and audited by an accountant
- Income and/or property may never be distributed to its members
The L2L Ladies Walk committee members hold a meeting to vote for a top 10 short-list of charity applications, with each member basing her vote on the selection criteria set out within the L2L Ladies Walk Constitution.
The votes are anonymous. The votes are audited and verified by an independent registered Accountant. The committee is informed of the results, after which impromptu visits are planned by committee members to visit the list of short-listed charities, to observe the daily workings of each charity at grass-roots level. This also provides an opportunity for the L2L Ladies Walk committee to evaluate the charity’s current situation and the relevance of the proposed project to each specific charity’s need.
Should the L2L Ladies Walk committee observe any discrepancies between any of the short-listed charities’ applications/ proposed projects/ information given and what they observed at the charities’ premises, the L2L Ladies Walk committee retain the right to question the management/ trustees/ representatives and clarify discrepancies to the committees’ joint satisfaction. Should the L2L Ladies Walk committee agree that a charity or charities’ project proposal(s) does not adhere to the criteria as set out in the L2L Ladies Walk Constitution, the committee retain the right to disqualify the applicant charity and remove the charity from the short-list.
The charities that remain on the short-list will then be invited to prepare a presentation of their proposed project to all registered female walkers at the Registration Evening, held in Hermanus in the month of August or September each year. The female attendees at the Registration Evening will view the short-listed charities’ presentations and cast their votes anonymously after all the presentations have been completed. Each attendee who has filled in the L2L Ladies Walk entry forms and produced proof of registration payment, will receive a voter ballot sheet with the short-listed charities’ names and proposed projects listed on it. Each walker may cast 2 votes, for their top 2 charities. The ballot papers are then placed in a sealed ballot box.
The ballot box with all the votes casted by the group of registered walkers during the Registration evening, will be handed over to an independent, registered Accountant the next morning. This accountant will tally up the votes, confirm the results and release the information to the L2L Ladies Walk committee.
The L2L Ladies Walk Co-ordinator will inform the committee members of the results and contact the winning charity applicant of its successful bid to receive the funds raised during the annual walk. The charity which receives the second most votes will also be notified by the co-ordinator. This charity will be able to hold a fundraising event in conjunction with L2L Ladies Walk during the official practice walk in the month of February or March of each year. The co-ordinator will inform all the other short-listed charities who were unsuccessful in their application and thank them for their participation and effort.
Winning charity’s responsibilities and participation
The L2L Ladies Walk will request the charity which won a majority of votes from the registered group of female walkers during the Registration Evening of the annual walk, to sign a Letter of Agreement. This letter informs the winning charity of the Terms & Conditions on which L2L Ladies Walk will raise funds towards the charity’s project and how the funds raised will be made available to the charity for use.
L2L Ladies Walk committee also encourages the winning charity to become involved in the events and activities hosted by L2L in the build-up towards the annual fundraising walk.
|2006||CANSA Hermanus||R10 000.00|
|2007-2010||Overstrand Hospice||R313 328.00|
|2011||SOFCA Hermanus||R171 171.00|
|2012||Child Welfare Hermanus||R222 222.00|
|2013||Huis Lettie Theron||R277 277.00|
|2014||Waldorf School Hermanus||R285 285.00|
|2015||Hermanus Night Shelter||R417 000.00|
|2016||Clive Prins Youth Addiction Program||R456 456.00|
|2017||JustCare Aftercare||R549 690.00|
|2018||Hermanus Senior Centre||R674 665.42|
|2019||Camphill School||R677 677.38|
- Download your voting slip : VOTING SLIP
- Scroll down and view each of the presentations of the 7 charities on our Shortlist (click on the Blue buttons below every Charity logo).
- Click on this button to see a: SUMMARY
- Vote for your first and second choice Charities, scan and email to: email@example.com.